If you are experiencing the unpleasantness of a clogged drain, no need to pour chemical-laden cleaning products down the sink in order to fix the problem. That stuff is so potent that you can smell the toxins in it just from opening the bottle. Needless to say, it's incredibly bad for your health and the chemicals eventually end up in the environment after they've done their job.
To unclog a drain in a more environmentally friendly manner, all you need are a couple of my favorite natural home-cleaning ingredients: baking soda and white vinegar.
- baking soda
- white vinegar (although really any vinegar would work just fine)
1. Pour 1/2 cup of baking soda down the drain.
2. Pour 3/4 cup of vinegar into the drain.
3. Allow the two ingredients to react and bubble up into the sink. A warning, it won't smell very pleasant.
4. Once all the bubbling has subsided, pour hot water down the drain.
This natural solution works well for most drains clogs. However, if you have a drain that is blocked with a large hairball or other obstruction, even the strongest commercial drain cleaner won't help you. I'm afraid then you will have to deal with the unpleasantness of snaking the drain ... then remember to invest in a drain cover to prevent it from happening again.