While researching ways to obtain better sleep, I discovered that the scent of lavender has a very calming affect on the body. As an extra bonus, I also found out that lavender helps repel mosquitoes. So I set out to make my own reed diffuser that would fill my bedroom with the smell of lavender.
- a non-porous (such as glass) vase or container with a narrow neck
- reed or rattan diffuser sticks - high proof liquor (at least 35% alcohol)
- essential oils of your choice
You'll notice from the picture on the left that I am repurposing a small, clean bottle of Patrón. It's the perfect size and shape for a reed diffuser, including a narrow neck that helps prevent the scented mixture from evaporating too quickly.
In my recipe, I am choosing to mix lavender essential oil and vanilla essential oil to create a pleasant scent that I think would be quite soothing to fall asleep to. Feel free to use any other essential oil or combination of oils to make a unique scent for your home.
1. Pour high proof alcohol into your container so that it is half full.
2. Add your essential oil or oils. Roughly 15-20 drops per 1/3 cup of alcohol works for me.
3. Mix the ingredients together well, then place some reed sticks into the container. I find 5-6 is enough to get a hint of a scent when you walk by, but add more if you'd like the oils to disperse faster for a stronger aroma. Flip the sticks around every once in awhile if you want to refresh the scent.
Place the diffuser anywhere in the house where you think the air could use a little freshening up.
Got some old perfume lying around? You can very easily turn that into a diffusing scent for your home as well!