How to Make Non-toxic Glue Paste Out of Flour


Most people who are looking after young kids worry about them sticking things in their mouth, chief among these are toxic chemicals, such as the kinds of toxins found in glues and pastes that children use for arts and crafts.

Sure, there are a bunch of things on the market that claim to be kid-safe, but how about just making your own glue paste at home completely out of edible materials? Then you can say without a doubt that the paste the kids are using are toxin-free, and is even safe to eat (and actually tastes kinda good!).

How to Make Non-toxic Glue Paste Out of Corn Starch

**********

You'll Need:

- flour
- white vinegar
- sugar
- water
- food coloring (optional)

How to Make Non-toxic Glue Paste Out of Corn Starch
Don't worry if the color of your mixture doesn't match mine.
I used some left over low fat tapioca flour, which is a tad
more yellow than most conventional types of flour.
Directions:

1. Mix 1.5 cups of water with 1 cup of flour and 1/3 cups of sugar. Mix well so there are absolutely no clumps in it. This requires a bit of time and patience to accomplish, so if you'd like to speed things up a bit try pouring the flour in through a sieve as this will help break up the larger clumps.

2. Mix in one tablespoon of vinegar and put the mixture over medium heat until it starts to become a thicker paste.

3. Take the mixture off the heat and allow it to cool completely. Then place it in a separate container for use. You can take it off the heat even when there's a bit of liquid left and it's already about 90% paste. The already heated mixture and remaining warmth from the pot should take care of the rest, and this way you avoid burning it and having clumps stick to the side of the pot.




To Use:
How to Make Non-toxic Glue Paste Out of Corn Starch

Use this paste like you would any conventional glue paste, and it works really well! It even works to make stronger paper mache (or papier-mâché) projects.

This is a simple recipe for any time you need glue paste, not just when you have kids around. When allowed to dry completely, it creates a nice strong bond for crafts involving paper, and you don't have to worry about toxic chemicals coming in contact with your skin or being ingested by the little ones. In fact, they can eat as much as they want and they'd be fine (if they're not allergic to gluten)!

If it hardens or becomes too solid to use, simply add a little hot water to it until it becomes a usable consistency again. The mixture should last a few days without refrigeration before going rancid. If you keep it in the fridge — months. When it starts to seem a little funky to you, simply throw it out, and be rest assured you aren't tossing anything that will do the environment any harm.

**********

 

If you're not worried about anyone in your household putting this stuff in their mouths, you can make it a little more interesting by adding in some essentials oils after you've taken the mixture off the heat for a little fragrance!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments relevant to the post. All comments will be monitored before they are published. Thanks for understanding!